John P. Athans, MD
I believe that we should treat patients the same way that we would want ourselves and our family treated.
Building upon an interest in science, and an undergraduate major in chemistry, I entered the study of medicine from a desire to help people.
After an internship in internal medicine, I completed a 4-year residency in anatomic pathology and clinical pathology; and then practiced general pathology for a bit more than 34 years.
A little over 2 years ago, I came across another opportunity to help people by practicing addiction medicine while in semi-retirement; a job I can continue for many years to come.
About a year after my wife and I returned to our home town and our families after a 40-year absence, the opportunity to practice at ROAD to a Better Life found me.
I enjoy interacting and establishing a rapport with patients; and helping to guide them through the process of their recovery.
- 1974 B.A., University of Mew Hampshire
- 1977 M.D, Dartmouth Medical School
- 1977-1978 Internship in Internal Medicine, St. Vincent Hospital; Worcester, MA
- 1978-1982 Residency in Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology, St. Vincent Hospital; Worcester, MA
Professional Certifications & Associations
- 1982 Board Certification in Anatomic Pathology; American Board of Pathology
- 1982 Board Certification in Clinical Pathology; American Board of Pathology
- Life Fellow, College of American Pathologists